Association for Healthcare Resource & Materials Management
By Adam Higman
By Brian Mullahey
By Kristin Spenik
By Jerzy Kaczor
In today’s hospital setting, data and healthcare information is the most accessible it has ever been making it necessary for healthcare professionals to assess and evaluate its accuracy. Additionally, the healthcare supply chain is filled with “me-too” products with often dubious improvements in clinical efficacy over competitive and legacy products.
The AHRMM Issues & Legislative Committee
AHRMM’s Issues & Legislative Committee has advocated the usage of Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER) to offer substantial, evidence-based data to aid healthcare organizations in their purchasing decisions. CER data includes unbiased conclusions regarding healthcare products and supplies, after having compared the advantages, usefulness, and possible harm of numerous pharmaceuticals, medical devices, equipment, surgical procedures, and tests for specific disease states and treatments of care.
By utilizing the CER-provided data, materials management professionals can :
- Warrant top-performing Value Analysis Committees
- Verify the cost-effectiveness and ability of salvaging “single use items”
- Regulate Medical/Surgical products
- Capitalize information technology efforts to decrease expenditures and inaccuracies
- Change supplies, services, and technologies to lower budget-friendly, clinically-acceptable options that endure needed specifications
- Convert to supplies, services, and technologies that produce better patient outcomes at a lower total cost that meets needed specifications
- Prioritize capital expenditures
- Use third-party benchmarking tools to get the most out of resources 2
Your thoughts and comments on this ME-P are appreciated. Feel free to review our top-left column, and top-right sidebar materials, links, URLs and related websites, too. Then, subscribe to the ME-P. It is fast, free and secure.
Speaker: If you need a moderator or speaker for an upcoming event, Dr. David E. Marcinko; MBA – Publisher-in-Chief of the Medical Executive-Post – is available for seminar or speaking engagements. Contact: MarcinkoAdvisors@msn.com
OUR OTHER PRINT BOOKS AND RELATED INFORMATION SOURCES:
FINANCE: Financial Planning for Physicians and Advisors
INSURANCE: Risk Management and Insurance Strategies for Physicians and Advisors