Wrong-Site Surgery Avoidance
via Hope Rachel Hetico RN MHA
According to Elizabeth Eaken Zhani, Media Relations Manager, in a letter sent to thousands of peri-operative nurses across the country, The Joint Commission and the Association of peri-operative Registered Nurses (AORN) are urging health care practitioners and organizations to recognize National Time Out Day to help draw attention to the time out as a tool for the prevention of wrong-site, wrong-side, wrong-procedure or wrong-person surgery.
National Time Out Day
In honor of National Time Out Day, AORN and The Joint Commission ask all immediate members of the surgical team and the organizations where they work to commit to conducting a safe, effective time out for every patient, for every surgical procedure.
A wrong-site surgery should never happen and when it does it can be devastating for the patient, the surgical team and the health care organization.
National Time Out Day, an annual event is meant to heighten awareness of the importance of the “time out,” the process a surgical team utilizes prior to the start of a surgical procedure to prevent a wrong-site, wrong-side, wrong-procedure or wrong-person surgery.
National Time Out Day will be celebrated in hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers [ASCs] on this June 12th, 2013.
Resources for celebrating National Time Out day are available on the AORN website
Your thoughts and comments on this ME-P are appreciated. Feel free to review our top-left column, and top-right sidebar materials, links, URLs and related websites, too. Then, subscribe to the ME-P. It is fast, free and secure.
Speaker: If you need a moderator or speaker for an upcoming event, Dr. David E. Marcinko; MBA – Publisher-in-Chief of the Medical Executive-Post – is available for seminar or speaking engagements. Contact: MarcinkoAdvisors@msn.com
OUR OTHER PRINT BOOKS AND RELATED INFORMATION SOURCES:
- DICTIONARIES: http://www.springerpub.com/Search/marcinko
- PHYSICIANS: www.MedicalBusinessAdvisors.com
- PRACTICES: www.BusinessofMedicalPractice.com
- HOSPITALS: http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466558731
- CLINICS: http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781439879900
- ADVISORS: www.CertifiedMedicalPlanner.org
- BLOG: www.MedicalExecutivePost.com
- FINANCE:Financial Planning for Physicians and Advisors
- INSURANCE:Risk Management and Insurance Strategies for Physicians and Advisors